Monday, December 05, 2016

Wrapping Gifts with a Toddler

I wasn't even wrapping the actual gifts - I was wrapping
boxes for gifts to go inside. There was a roll of wrapping paper, scissors, and tape on the ground. Man-cub D had been barricaded out of the room, but he finally managed to get in.

"Okay, D, you can stay here, but don't touch anything."
"Don't. Touch."
"Exactly."
"Don't. Touch." *grabs the scissors and runs away giggling*

After retrieving the scissors, I sit on them until I need them. D digs underneath my butt, trying to reach them. I succeed in taping the wrapping paper onto a side of the box. Then D notices the tape.

"Cake?" he asks, referring to the tape.
"The tape is just for mommy."
"Mommy." *snatches tape from my hand and runs away*

After retrieving the tape, I put it on top of the bed until I need it. Unfortunately by this point D found the now unprotected scissors and has run off again. I retrieve the scissors and begin cutting wrapping paper for the next box.

"Sit?" D wants to sit in my lap.
"Sure," I sigh. At least then he'll stay put.

Just kidding. Now he wants a piggyback. And now he's walking all over the wrapping paper, getting dangerously close to grabbing the scissors again.

I lead him outside the room and shut the door. He weeps as if the only entertainment in the entire house is in the master bedroom--even though all of his toys are easily accessible in the front room, kitchen, or his bedroom.

I finish wrapping the box and look up to find that D has figured out how to open the door. Looks like I'll be buying child safety locks.

2 comments: