Sunday, January 31, 2016

Resolutions for the Next Baby


No, this is not a pregnancy announcement. I'm just writing down a few things I'd like to change or continue the second time around. Of course, these resolutions might not even work out with the next baby, but at least I have goals, right?
  1. Learn how to nurse laying down. I tried this a few times with man-cub D but never could find a good position. However, I've heard that it's amazing for night-time feedings if the baby is co-sleeping, so maybe next time around...
  2. Speaking of nursing, I also want to have the next baby used to nursing in public. Man-cub D got used to nursing in his quiet, isolated bedroom, and now it is impossible to nurse him anywhere else. And that doesn't really work out well when we want to go out for more than 4 hours at a time. 
  3. Familiarize baby with the bottle. Man-cub D took a bottle until about 4 months when we temporarily stopped bottle feeding and then when we tried to re-introduce it, he refused. So for next baby, I don't want that happening.
  4. Start sleep training earlier. We were still letting man-cub D dictate bedtime and night wakings up through 9 months. We should have set a bedtime long before that, but now I've learned. 
  5. Not cloth diaper. Although we still have all of the supplies, so we'll see...

Things I'd like to continue the second time around:
  1. Having baby sleep in our room for the first few months. It was so nice not to have to get out of bed every 2 hours during the newborn stage.
  2. Slowly introducing foods. Man-cub D is allergic to oats, and I'm glad we introduced things slowly so we could identify his allergy quickly.
  3. Play-dates! These are soooo needed, especially when babies start to become mobile and drive mamas crazy. Man-cub D is naturally social already, and I'd like to encourage that in the next baby.
  4. Baby wearing. Man-cub D loves his carrier, and it was a lot easier to get things done when I was wearing him. Plus, less bulk to pack!
  5. Swaddling and white noise really helped man-cub D sleep, so I'm hoping that will help with the next baby as well. But who knows? Maybe the next baby will love pacifiers and stuffed animals instead. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you included resolutions you wanted to keep as well as ones you wanted to change. Way to validate the awesome things you have done with Dash!

    ReplyDelete