Sunday, April 17, 2016

Our Favorite Board Books

We go to the library a lot. Mostly because Man-cub D likes to read the same books over and over and over again and I need some variety. Here are some books that I haven't minded reading 1,784 times in a row:

The Mini Myth Series- these are modern retellings of well-known greek myths. What I like about these books is that they epitomize how a child would act. For example, Midas loves the color yellow, and wishes that everything he wears would be yellow- until he paints his favorite dinosaur yellow and regrets it. These books are easy for toddlers to understand while also alluding to themes from myths that parents would remember.

The Les Petits Fairytale Series- These are renditions of fairytales using only one or two words per page. Since Man-cub D rarely has time for me to read more than that in regular books, I get the satisfaction of knowing I was able to read everything before he turns the page. Though simple, the illustrations contain fun details for kids to notice. Since I love fairytales, these are books I don't mind reading repeatedly.

My First [Sport] Book Series- These also only contain one word per page, describing different equipment and moves common to each sport. Instead of illustrations, there are photos on each page, usually involving children playing the sport, which I think makes these more relatable for kids.

Babylit Primers- These primers take a theme (colors primer, shapes primer, opposites primer, etc) and apply it to a classic book such as Treasure Island or Huckleberry Finn. As someone who has read most of the classic books they do, I've enjoyed seeing how they incorporate different themes and characters even though they won't necessarily detail the plot. Some I like more than others, but overall it's been a fun series.


Who's in the Garden?- We actually own this one. What I love most about this book are the illustrations. They are colorful and extremely detailed. Man-cub D will read this book repeatedly and find new things on every page. He is slowly learning the different animals and plants depicted in the book, and it's fun to see him remember where things are. Our current game with this book is "Where's the bee?" as there are bees on most of the pages.

What toddler book suggestions to you have?

1 comment: