Tuesday, August 16, 2016

What to look for in a future home


Every time we move, I learn more about my preferences for a future home, and hopefully gain more experience so that when we do get a house, I won't be in over my head.

So, based off of my current and last apartments, here is what I know to be aware of:
  • where lights are placed (in both apartments, there were places in the home that had to be lit by lamps because there were no lights in those areas)
  • how big drawers are (the ones in our new apartment are way smaller! they don't even fit our utensil organizer)
  • whether the doors close (apparently the ones in our new apartment don't, although they should. we've put in a work order for that)
  • how high the ceilings are (our last apartment had 6 foot ceilings in some places...)
  • the color of the carpet (do NOT get blue carpet. it shows everything. our new place has a lovely cream colored carpet that I don't feel like I have to vacuum several times a day)
  • towel hangers (apparently most apartments out here don't come with a bar or ring for hand towels? how is that a thing?) 
  • windows- do they have blinds? do they need curtains? how hard will it be to install curtain rods? do you have a man-cub who requires blackout curtains? 
  • what kind of storage is there? (built-ins, closets, cabinets, pantries, extra rooms, etc)
I'm sure I'll learn more with our next move...

No comments:

Post a Comment